A new and updated 2016 edition of this popular and widely used fourth-grade Social Studies textbook!
An interactive text that engages students through activities, questions, color photographs, maps, and drawings, Discover Colorado presents the state’s fascinating people, places, and times from the Paleo-Indians to the present. Addressing the disciplinary perspectives of geography, history, economics, and government and citizenship and emphasizing civic participation, decision making, and historical and geographic thinking, this comprehensive book will involve and engage students in learning about Colorado’s exciting history.
Discover Colorado, Second Edition includes the following:
- New features, text revisions, and updated material in each chapter that add more than 20 percent new content.
- A redesigned illustration program with more than 200 new images, including all new maps.
- New content, lessons, and assessments address all of the Colorado Academic Standards in Social Studies for fourth Grade.
- Content that addresses and assesses many of the ELA Common Core State Standards and Colorado Academic Standards in Reading, Writing, and Communicating.
- New stand-alone chapters that address the disciplinary perspectives of Geography, History, Economics, and Government and Citizenship, focused on skills for each discipline and aligned with the Colorado Academic Standards in Social Studies.
- New “Skills and Tools for Learning” feature included to engage students in social studies learning.
- New full-page “Learning from Primary Sources” resource that engages students in using primary sources.
- New “Thinking about Colorado Water” feature on the role of water in Colorado.
- New material on civic participation and decision making integrated into the historical content of many chapters.
- New emphasis on historical and geographic thinking, with inquiry questions posed at the beginning of each chapter linked to end-of-chapter “Review, Reflect, and Respond” activities.
- A revised Chapter 12, expanded to present day and including new content on climate change, droughts, forest fires, and major floods.
- Student text available in print and ebook formats.
- Student text and teacher's guide both available as online resources, easily ingestible into individualized LMS.
- Lexile® measure: 840L
Discover Colorado, Second Edition Teacher's Guide
The new teacher’s guide is a free readable and searchable online resource, complete with PDF downloads of the student activities and assessments that address all of the Colorado Academic Standards in Social Studies. Teachers can register at www.discovercoloradotextbook.com for temporary review access before adoption or for permanent access after purchasing or licensing the student text for classroom use. Permanent access includes both the teacher's guide materials and student text files.
Samples and Review Copies
Please see the "Download Attachments" section below to download a copy of the table of contents and sample chapters. To request an exam copy of the student edition, please contact Beth Svinarich, sales and marketing manager, at .