Written by two self-proclaimed "geezers" who have shared 46 years of hiking together, The Geezers' Guide to Colorado Hikes is the first book aimed at hikers over the age of 60—as well as not-yet-acclimated visitors to Colorado—who want a glorious outdoor experience with minimal accompanying pain.
Fifty-six hikes are described that fit, in a graded fashion, the physical capabilities of most older hikers. While the majority of hikes listed are in the Denver/Boulder area and the nearby foothills, the authors have detailed several routes in Rocky Mountain National Park, Aspen, and Vail that will entice more ambitious readers up into the high Colorado Rockies.
- An overview of the physiology of altitude and aging
- A summary of altitude-related medical problems
- Notes on hike preparation and what to pack
- 56 recommended hikes with:
- Degree of difficulty ratings
- Estimated round-trip time for the older hiker
- Starting altitude and elevation gain figures
- Driving directions
- Trail descriptions